The internet is becoming the world’s most powerful and fastest communications tool available. We now have the ability to connect with anyone around the world, from anywhere on earth. And this has opened up a whole new level of marketing for businesses. From building brand awareness to promoting your products effectively – there are no limits when it comes to creating a successful online presence. With digital marketing for small business being so widespread, learning how to navigate through the process can be daunting. While starting out can be difficult to grasp, as you learn more, it becomes progressively easier. This article will give you all the information that you need to get started in this exciting space. Here’s our list of the best options for small companies.
What does digital marketing mean?
Digital marketing takes marketing tactics that combine SEO (search engine optimisation), social media marketing, email marketing, content creation and website management to create an impactful customer experience. There are many different types of digital marketing. But for a more detailed explanation of what these types of marketing are, here’s a helpful video to make it clear.
Types Of Digital Marketing
1. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
These are one of my favorite pieces of marketing used by businesses today. It’s effective because it helps businesses reach their audiences and deliver results that they are looking for. In this space, SEO allows businesses to use keywords in order to rank high on search engines such as Google.
Keywords are searches that searchers type into search engines such the web to find content that matches the keywords. However, not only do search engines like Google help businesses thrive but also helps them boost their reputation. An additional benefit of implementing SEO include that it boosts organic traffic which makes it far cheaper to attract customers to your site. Moreover, Search engines give businesses an opportunity to earn revenue off their paid ads rather than having to pay for banner advertisements or pop-ups. These are great ways to grow your own business without paying any money upfront. If you’re serious about getting noticed in the market, a great way to start with search engine optimization in 2021 is with HubPages, an SEO agency in London.
Advantages of Using SEO To Your Business:
1. Brand Awareness — When done right, it can completely transform your brand visibility. By using SEO to build a good online image, you increase your sales and leads.
2. Quality Content – Through SEO, people can find answers to questions they might otherwise never learn about until finding them from the ‘bigger picture’ in things like content. People who know about a company’s service or product are much more likely to share that knowledge with others.
3. Engagement – Through search engines, the number of clicks someone gets about something increases. Engagement is measured via engagement analytics and it shows that the more engagement there is in a product or service the better. Also, people become very frustrated with something if the person is clicking on nothing, and then going back to another result.
4. Ecommerce – As I mentioned before, search engines let businesses sell and ship their merchandise. Additionally, merchants that have built strong ecommerce sites can take advantage of this with some basic SEO tactics to promote their e-sale.
5. Organic Traffic – The best part about how we use search engines and ecommerce to generate traffic for us is that we don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on advertising. Although, if we decide that we do want to invest with paid advertisements, it becomes increasingly important to implement proper SEO in order to gain the desired results. This will help businesses generate consistent growth over time
6. Revenue Generation – When done correctly, SEO leads to increased revenue generation for your business. More engaged audiences, engaged audiences and higher levels of engagement give businesses an edge in generating revenue. Not only does SEO help you gain exposure to this audience, which converts into sales, it also generates leads or conversions that drive the revenue. A few examples of companies that put effort into increasing revenue include Airbnb and Shopify.
7. Ad Words – Advertising is an incredibly powerful marketing tool and it gives businesses the biggest bang for their buck with the ability to communicate their message to an audience across platforms. Companies such as Netflix and YouTube make billions of dollars by advertising their services using words like “how to”, “advice” and other related ad phrases.
What are the pros and cons of each style of marketing?
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Pros
As discussed above, optimizing your website for search engines is one of the best strategies to increase its popularity. Not only do search engines help businesses grow their revenues, but they also allow them to improve their brand image as well.
According to research data published on Quora, 61% of consumers would recommend searching for something similar to a trusted business to other websites. Additionally though, 75% of the time, businesses choose to target those searches that lead to organic traffic. Another study, conducted by PwC found that 92% of shoppers say that the reason they frequent certain brands on search engines is that the company is offering value at a discounted price.
Therefore, it is imperative that businesses adopt proper SEO implementation practices in order to avoid bad reviews or the risk of losing potential clients.
2. Social Media Marketing Pros
In social media marketing, businesses can utilize a wide range of promotional tools to reach their audience. One particularly attractive type of social media marketing includes influencer marketing. Influencers are people from social networks who become an expert in a given subject. After gaining more followers, influencers are able to advertise their brands to more followers in return. Promotions are posted and promoted to specific communities within their respective platforms. Some popular influencers in this sector include Instagram stars like Meghan Markle, Khloé Kardashian and David Hasselhoff.
3. Email Marketing Pros
Businesses should make sure that they are adding value and making excellent use of emails – not just for marketing purposes, but in fact to stay in contact with current and prospective customers. Emails are an especially valuable way to engage with your customers and keep them informed about your brand and its offerings. Email marketing isn’t limited to sending bulk SMS messages, instead email campaigns consist of emails sent to individual people to send the same message to based on their demographic. This kind of strategy builds relationships with the customer and builds trust. Furthermore, email marketing allows businesses to reach specific demographics more easily than other forms of marketing, which means that they are much more receptive to changes in customer behaviour.
4. Paid Ads & Affiliate Marketing Pros
With the rise of affiliate marketing and other forms of digital marketing, businesses have access to tons of resources that will help them grow their revenues. Both paid and affiliate marketing require companies to provide substantial value towards the end user. Affiliate marketing lets businesses associate themselves with specific affiliates in exchange for financial compensation. This allows them to earn a passive income without giving up control of the entire business. In 2020 alone, more than $19 billion was generated via affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is where enterprises partner with affiliates in order to grow their enterprise. An example of a prominent affiliate network is Amazon Associates, where marketers place links to their products on their pages and Amazon affiliates receive a percentage of revenue from advertisers. They’ll also add more affiliate links to their page to maximize the revenue.
5. Online Marketing Pros
Online marketing offers numerous benefits to businesses of all sizes. Among those benefits, the main thing that separates businesses from the rest is the amount of time it takes to market your brand – whether you are a big corporation or boutique enterprise. If you look at industry statistics, 41% of marketing executives say the average marketing period for a consumer is 10 weeks (from buying to shipping and after-sales). Whereas 30% of B2B enterprises have no marketing budget, 49% of F2B entrepreneurs still go through extensive marketing budgets. On top of that, 80% of businesses with 50+ employees report spending at least $100,000 to market their brand online. Over 90% of these companies will continue using online marketing if it saves them money.
6. Video Marketing Pros
Video marketing has skyrocketed in popularity recently. A quick glimpse of what’s happening within the video space will tell you why businesses are leveraging this form of marketing in even greater numbers than ever before. While traditional marketing channels were focused on putting people in a situation to make them buy a product, video marketing aims to create compelling stories and narratives across multiple mediums like TV and digital. Businesses using videoconferencing are able to market to more diverse demographics and to further personalize their brand.
7. Website Development Services Options
Businesses today can leverage the power of technology to leverage their existing customer base in addition to attracting new ones. Websites, apps and platforms provide businesses with tools to collect customer feedback and respond to consumer demands in record time. Webinars are an extremely effective form of onboarding for buyers and allow businesses to stay abreast of current events, trends and customer opinion trends and preferences. Also, businesses that use open-source applications can customize their applications to meet the needs of specific industries, regions and/or verticals.
How long can your first foray into digital marketing be? How much does your business require digital marketing in terms of budget? What are the steps involved? What sort of marketing tools should you consider when building? Are there any other small business ideas I haven’t mentioned that can be considered? Please leave me a comment below! Thank you for reading this article. I hope it helped guide you through the process of digital marketing for small businesses.